Monday 11 April 2011

Posed vs Candid

I love my natural photos, just taking pictures of whatever goes on around where ever I am. It's probably why I love street photography so much as the most natural things I think are the most beautiful and interesting. However, for this project, I don't really think it is appropriate for this project. So I'm going to look at photography styles with and without posing.

One of my favourite photographers, Elliott Erwitt, did a mixture of posed and candid shots, but my favourites of his are the natural ones. This next one was a natural shot, he set it up for focus but the subjects were just passing by:
It's great for the right purpose of capturing the French culture.

This next one is also candid.
It's the right environment for this sort of shot, it wouldn't look as good posed.

Next I'll look at posed shots also by Elliott Erwitt.
This next one is of Marilyn Monroe, it looks right posed at it is a portrait
It may be due to the fact that she is an icon and we expect her to be picture perfect 24/7 but I think that it wouldn't have looked as good if it wasn't posed.

This is also posed and tbh I really like it. It fits its portrait purpose.

So, what do I think is best for this shoot?
Well, I think that posed shots would be best. As it's people in their environment, I really do think it would be more suitable. On the shoot I will take some candid shots too and see what they look like some may fit quite well in the sequence. These would be of the group of people together, could make some great shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment